Search This Blog

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Citizen Patrick

American democracy is a citizens democracy. Americans not only believe in it, but also live it.
Democracy at a macro level. On the Veterans Day, I went with some friends to Sacramento, the capital of the State of California (Photos). During our visit to the Capitol, one of my colleagues showed me the name of his State representative in a board in front of the State Low Chamber. I asked if his representative was Republican and he denied. I was surprised for I knew him to be very conservative. Hence, I asked if he voted for a Democrat during the last State polls and... he denied again! Seeing my even bigger surprise and confuse, he explained that this particular Congressman was not voted by him, however was his representative. What a difference to what we experience in other countries! "If Smith/Kowalski/Garcia was not voted by me, he is not my representative", we say. If we want to a democracy, we have to learn the basis of democracy.
Democracy at a micro level. Driving in America is easy. Almost all the cars are automatic, the lanes and streets are well signalized, etc., etc. There are some particularities that newcomers should know, and one of them are to full "STOP" signals.
I was one of those "newcomers" driving back home early in the evening. When I parked the car in the parking lot, I saw a track entering the parking lot as well and asking me if I have a driving license. I answered that I have an international driving license. He next told me that I passed at least 3 "Stops" without fully stopping and that I should take care. I introduced myself, ask for his name --Patrick--, and next I thanked him for the advise and promised to be more careful in the future. [As an explanation, I can only add that sometimes these "Stops" are difficult to see.]
Patrick is the model for American democracy. The state is the sum of individual persons and not an abstract imposing rules. I surpassed "his" laws and he was responsible and kind enough to drive to my place (who knows how far?) and teach my the basic rules. We need more "Patricks" in our home countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment